I'm a certified teacher committed to providing a solid education and instilling music appreciation in students of all ages. I love providing well-rounded learning experiences to students by varying activities and creatively covering the important techniques of the instruments that I teach. I have the ability to tailor lessons to meet my students' diverse needs and meet them at their level, all the while ensuring constant positive progress.
I have developed exceptional communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills to cultivate strong relationships with parents and pupils.
I employ the following strategies in teaching:
- Technology integration. For instance, I use notation software to create flashcards and share them with students for their use. Students send me recordings of their progress in between their sessions.
- Multi-sensory lessons. We do a variety of activities that engage all the student's senses to help them learn more and appreciate music.
- Performance enhancement. I inspire thoughtfulness and creativity in performances to bring out the best from every pupil
- Lesson planning. I create individualized lesson plans for each lesson that considers each student's strengths.
- Positive comments. I avoid negative comments that may make my pupil's efforts look inadequate.
- Student motivation. I always motivate my students by sincerely rewarding their efforts with positive comments and honest grades.
- Inquiry-based learning. I use open and closed questions to keep the students alert throughout the lesson and to be sure that we are moving together.
- Performance-based technique reinforcement. I use performance pieces to reinforce the skills and techniques learned during the lessons.
- Patience. Without this, I wouldn't be writing anything here.
These and more teaching skills have made my lessons productive and my students enjoy their lessons.
I have a Diploma in Music from Kenyatta University. My main instruments during the course were piano and classical guitar.
I have grade 8 in ABRSM Music Theory. The course involves harmony, composition, arrangement, and analysis.
I have a certificate in Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE).
I have also done various short courses:
- Choral conducting at Kenya Conservatoire of Music - 2016
- Fundamentals of conducting Music Ensembles at Coursera - 2018
- Becoming a Better Music Teacher at Futurelearn - 2021